I find trifles to be really easy yet elegant desserts, especially suitable for large gatherings. With so many main course dishes to prepare , I chose shortcuts like store bought pound cake instead of home made and non dairy whipped topping instead of whipped cream. Thus, I just had to assemble the trifle .
It’s difficult to give the exact measurements for the ingredients since it will depend on the size of your trifle bowl.
- Pound Cake ( Or Any vanilla flavored plain cake )
- Frozen sliced strawberries in light syrup (thawed) ( Or Sliced fresh strawberries and homemade strawberry syrup)
- Instant Vanilla Pudding prepared according to package directions (Or Prepared Vanilla Custard )
- Non dairy whipped topping ( Or Sweetened Whipped Cream )
- Fresh Strawberries and chocolate chips for garnishing
1) For the first layer: Slice and cut the cake into bite sized pieces and arrange it at the the bottom of your trifle bowl. There should not be any gaps between the pieces.Sprinkle some of the syrup from the frozen strawberries over the cake. Take care not to put too much syrup else the cake will become soggy.
2) For the second layer :Arrange the sliced and thawed strawberries over the cake.
3) For the third layer: Spread some of the vanilla pudding.
4) Repeat the layers until the trifle bowl is almost full. My bowl was not too deep so I just got two layers each of cake, strawberries and pudding.
5) Top up the trifle with non dairy whipped topping or sweetened whipped cream. Garnish with fresh strawberries and chocolate chips. I used a piping bag with a large star tip to swirl the whipped topping.
6) Refrigerate for at least 5-6 hours for the flavors to mingle. Serve chilled.
This can be made in individual serving glasses too. However, I usually do not like to serve individual portions of desserts to guests so that everyone can decide their own serving size.