In theory I would love to make dishes the way they are supposed to be made – the good old fashioned way, stirring and simmering for hours to achieve perfection. but honestly, it’s just not practical for me. Shortcut recipes like this one work like a charm for me.
3) Stir the mixture and break any lumps that may have formed.
4) Microwave for 14-16 minutes more , stopping and stirring every 2-3 minutes until the mixture looks grainy and almost all the liquid has evaporated. The mixture should have left the sides of the bowl . It should not be very dry otherwise the kalakand will be hard.In my 1000W microwave it took a total of 21 minutes to achieve the desired consistency. Microwave ovens vary, so keep a close eye on it to achieve the perfect consistency.
5) Grease a square or rectangular dish with ghee or butter and spread the mixture in it. Press it down with a flat spoon and sprinkle the slivered pistachios.
6) Cool it down to room temperature and then refrigerate for couple of hours before cutting into squares.
- Add a pinch of crushed saffron after microwaving the mixture.
- Instead of pistachios, chopped almonds/silver foil can be used for garnishing.
*Note: I use regular full fat ricotta cheese for this recipe. I once tried it with extra smooth ricotta cheese but the result was not the same.
Suchi of Kitchen Karma
Faseela of Good Food ends with good talk
Anjana of Maayeka
Anu of Anu’s Healthy Kitchen and Anu’s Cake & Bakes