For the karhi:
1 tsp fenugreek (methi) seeds
1 medium onion
1 tsp each ginger and garlic paste
Red chilli powder acc to taste ( I put around 1 heaped teaspoon)
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 cup sour yogurt
3 tbsps gram flour (besan)
About 1/4th cup cooking oil
For the pakoras:
1 cup gram flour
1 medium onion
2-3 green chillies
1/2 tsp baking powder
Oil to deep fry
For the tempering (baghaar/tadka):
5-6 tbsp oil
2 -3 pinches asafoetida
1 level tsp white cumin seeds
5-6 dried red chillies
1 medium onion finely sliced
1) Blend together onion, tomato, ginger-garlic paste,red chilli powder, turmeric and salt with little water.
2) Heat oil, add fenugreek seeds. When they begin to splutter add the blended masala.
3) Fry on low heat for about half an hour till oil leaves the masala.
4) Blend the gram flour and yogurt with a cup of water and add to the masala.
5) Add lots of water to get a very thin watery solution ( about 7-8 cups). It will thicken as it cooks and thicken further as it cools.
6) Bring to a boil, cover and cook on very low heat for about 2 hours.
7) For the pakoras mix the gramflour with salt and baking powder.
8) Blend the onion and green chillies with some water and add to gram flour. Add more water to make a thick paste.
9) Heat oil in a wok. Put tablespoonfuls of the mixture and fry on medium heat till the pakoras are golden brown.
10) The karhi should be done in about 1 and half to two hours. If you intend to eat it after few hours keep the consistency thinner than what you would like as it will thicken upon cooling. When it’s done add the pakoras, cover and simmer for 3-4 minutes. Take it out in the serving dish.
11) For tempering (baghaar) heat oil, add asafoetida then cumin and red chillies. When cumin splutters , add onions and fry on medium heat till they are golden brown. I sometimes add chopped red bell pepper or curry leaves also to the baghaar.
12) Spread the baghaar over the karhi. I find karhi tastes better after few hours when the pakoras have absorbed some liquid. Serve hot with rotis or boiled rice.